Hatchery Broodstock Technician
Company: GEL Recycling
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Evans Farms operates a 30-acre fish farm raising primarily Hybrid
Striped Bass, Tilapia, and four species of Sturgeon. Job Summary:
The Evans Farms Hatchery & Pond Manager is responsible for
overseeing and coordinating all aspects of operations at the
Hatchery & Farm Ponds, fish husbandry, system maintenance, etc.
He/she reports directly to the Evans Farms Operations Manager.
- Complete daily system checklists.
- Manage all aspects of fish production, including but not
- brood stock maintenance and spawning;
- live food production and feeding;
- larval and juvenile fish production;
- general fish husbandry including cleaning;
- feeding and application of treatments;
- quantification of growth and survival.
- Feeding juvenile Hybrid Striped Bass, Tilapia, and four species
of Sturgeon both live feeds and commercial diets
- Taking water quality samples.
- Monitor system operation and fish behavior.
- Maintain biosecurity protocols.
- Assist in fish growth sampling and transfers to nursery
- Transitioning eggs from brood to hatchery
- Safely handle live fish.
- Ensure proper function of hatchery RAS (Recirculating
- Troubleshoot, repair, or replace mechanical equipment (pumps,
pipe flanges, etc.).
- Maintain cleanliness of water quality sensors (oxygen, pH,
- Coordinate and move water within the system.
- Able to understand how the water quality is affecting the
- Work with the Evans Farms Operations Manager to maintain good
health management and biosecurity practices, including a sound
program for water quality monitoring.
- Ensure that all systems are always properly maintained and
- Help design, repair and fabricate systems as appropriate.
- Ensure that accurate records are kept, and protocols are
- Assist with all facility reporting requirements as needed.
- Support research projects as they are developed.
- Must be able to regularly work weekends and potentially odd
- Hatchery experience includes all aspects of rearing finfish
including producing live feeds, spawning adults, and rearing larvae
- Knowledge of recirculation system components and operations,
with an ability to design, build and troubleshoot these
- Dynamic, highly motivated aqua-culturist with excellent
management skills and willingness to work long hours as
- Responsible and hardworking individual with the ability to work
both independently and as part of a Team.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including
the use of standard word processing and spreadsheet software
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a dynamic
- Ability to think critically and solve problems.
- Ability to communicate honestly and voice concerns. Physical
- Kneeling and Crawling
- Reaching. Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Standing. Particularly for sustained periods of time
- Able to lift and carry heavy feed bags
- Repetitive motion
- Able to withstand hot, cold, and humid environments
- Good physical health with the ability to lift objects over
- Requires a valid Florida driving license, reliable personal
vehicle. Mutual Expectations: This job is salary and schedules may
include daytime/evening, rotating weekends, and holiday shifts.
Breaks and lunch are coordinated daily with your manager and other
farm staff. The facility is run during prime hours and may require
fast response should there be issues with the farm off hours.
Keywords: GEL Recycling, Palm Coast , Hatchery Broodstock Technician, Engineering , Pierson, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!