RELAY TECHNICIAN II
Company: Seminole Electric
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Job DescriptionPosition Summary DescriptionCalibrates, installs,
and maintains protective relays which will ensure efficient
operation of SECI plant, transmission, and substation systems.
Responsible for performing work involving a high degree of
complexity, including troubleshooting, repairing, overhauling,
calibrating, and maintaining components of protective relay
systems. Qualifications and Education RequirementsA two-year
Associate Degree in Electrical Technology or the equivalent
training, plus specialized training in system protection is
required. Five (5) or more years' experience in calibrating,
installing, and in-service testing of electro-mechanical and static
relay systems, is required. Working knowledge of the various
manufacturers protective equipment, test instruments, and all
protection schemes used in Seminole and member plant, substation,
and transmission line applications is required. Must be able to
receive and carry out instructions relevant to the job position.
Must have the ability to work independently and with others. Must
have a valid Florida Driver's License and be able to maintain an
acceptable Motor Vehicle Report. Core Competencies: Collaborative,
Adaptable, Outcome Driven, Ethical, Accountable,
- Office machinery such as PC, fax, photocopier, overhead
- Various electric equipment used in high voltage substation
- Construction methods and standards, materials and
- Electrical design and wiring; schematics
- Maintenance procedures and practices
- Safety practices, procedures and standards for voltages up to
- Specialized software and test equipment for gathering data,
record keeping and testing of equipment
- TroubleshootingSoft Competencies/Skills:
- Communication – written and verbal
- Discretion and confidentiality
- Attention to detail
- Following directions/instructions
- Problem solvingEssential Functions
- Performs equipment maintenance in strict accordance with all of
Seminoles practices and procedures.
- Calibration and maintenance of electro-mechanical and static
protective relays and relay systems.
- Testing and maintenance of carrier, tone equipment, and other
- Post calibration functional test of generator, plant switchyard
relays, and all associated control circuits.
- Check out, functional and start-up testing of substation
additions, new substations, and all associated equipment.
- Maintains metering and telemetering circuits.
- Performs inter tie revenue metering test, calibration, and
- Investigates, troubleshoots, and repairs relaying equipment and
systems in Seminole and member substations returning equipment to
service with a minimum of outage time. Recommends additional
corrective action as warranted.
- Implements relay and control circuit changes and additions.
Plans work on in-service equipment to prevent service interruptions
or compromising the safety of personnel or equipment.
- Keeps records of installations, changes, and additions to relay
equipment and updates drawings as appropriate.
- Interfaces supervisory control remote terminal units.
- Understands and follows equipment and clearance procedures and
safety practices applicable to work.
- Assists in developing test methods for relays and control
systems introduced to the Seminole system.
- Performs functional supervision of Relay Technician I and
Utility Relay Technician positions. Working ConditionsWhile working
in certain areas of the plant and transmission stations, there is
the potential for exposure to hazards typical of an industrial
working environment. Must be able to follow established protective
measures including, wearing required personal protective equipment
(PPE). Must be willing to travel and work extended hours and
schedules determined necessary to ensure maintenance of facilities.
Travel will generally be to remote substation and generation sites,
including sites under construction. Must be able to lift and carry
test equipment up to ninety (90) pounds. Position requires
occasional work out of an aerial bucket truck. Must be on call for
emergency conditions to assist in restoring equipment or lines to
Keywords: Seminole Electric, Palm Coast , RELAY TECHNICIAN II, Professions , Palatka, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!